This post may be a bit off our normal topic, but interesting nonetheless. Here’s 10 footballers named after various kinds of food:
- Kevin Lasagna – Currently plays for Carpi in the Italian Serie A.
- Samuele Pizza – Plays for Avellino in the Italian Serie B.
- Salvatore Margarita – I’m starting to notice a pattern here. Also
plays in Italy for Monticello.
- Diego Polenta – Plays for Uruguay’s Club Nacional.
- Massimo Maccarone – Back to Italy with the first Serie B player to play for the Italian national side. And his nickname is “Big Mac”-another food! Currently with Empoli.
- Scott Garlick – The spelling may be a bit off, but this journeyman MLS goalkeeper belongs on the list. He’s now retired, but he played with many an MLS club.
- Mark Fish – The South African defender who made his way through Lazio,
Bolton, and Charlton.
- Barry Rice – Played for DC United for one season.
- Kraig Chiles – Played for Chivas USA for a short while.
- Francesco Finocchio – Back to Italy for this one-time Parma player who is
currently with Pordenone. Finoccio means “fennel” in Italian.